Friday, April 8, 2011

A Fable for our Time

In the year 2147 a tourist visiting the ruins of what in earlier times was known as the Pentagon, discovered a secret vault whose existence was not previously known. A special congressional commission was appointed to supervise the opening of the vault, with the solemnity it merited. When the vault was opened it was found to contain only three documents, master forms of affidavits to be signed by all Presidents, members of Congress and justices of the Supreme Court. The cover page binding the documents contained instructions that the signed affidavits were to be considered as having the status of an amendment to the constitution which the office holder was obliged to support and protect. The texts of the documents were made public at the 2148 Presidential swearing-in ceremony despite the fact that they had never been ratified, or approved by referendum. The texts are as follows: PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES
I.( ) President of the United States, solemnly swear and affirm that I will faithfully perform the duties of that office. I will defend and protect the constitution of the United States and in all matters strive to provide for the greatest good for the greatest number of our citizens, without
favor to any station, ethniciy or political persuasion.

I will require of my staff that they treat the public with courtesy and efficiency and accept no outside form of compensation or recompense in performance of the duties required of them. If at anytime I fail to honor this pledge I will inform the people and strive to correct any misbehavior.


CONGRESS OF THE UNITED STATES


I ( ), (Representive) (Senator) from the State of ( ) do solemnly

swear and affirm that I will faithfully and honestly perform the duties of the office to which I have been elected. I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and devote myself to promoting the welfare of all our citizens

without favor for status, ethnicity or political persuasion, with additional attention to the interests of the constituency which elected me.

If at any time I am tempted to promote the interest of a special group at the

expense of the welfare of the general citizenry, I will resign my office.



SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES


I ( ) Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States

do solemnly swear and and affirm that I will faithfully and honestly perform

the duties of the office in which I serve. In judicial matters which come before

me I will render judgement objectively, based on the evidence, arguments and existing laws and decisions, and without consideration of my personal biases,

preferences, and political persuasion. If in any matter I am unable to observe

these ethical guidelines, I will recuse myself.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Would that we could advance immediately to 2147!

The puppets we must currently endure are a supreme embarrassment.